Charts - Pointing to View Didn't Filter Any Data

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:09 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM
First off this tool is amazing. I installed it on my WSS site and I'm loving it. I got it working with a lot of the discussion in here about MIME types and such. Here is my question:

I put a chart on the default.aspx / dashboard of a site, pointed it to a view within a list, told it what column to group by and off it went. Problem is, it's not actually using the filters within the view to do the grouping. Instead, it's showing all the data within the list.

However, when I add the same chart to a web-part page within the site, with all the same parameters, it works just fine. It filters the data and displays only the ones I had established as part of the view.

Any thoughts?

~Eric
San Francisco, CA

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM
More information:

On the dashboard I am also showing the issues list. I noticed that when I deleted it from the dashboard nothing changed on the graph. But when I added it back in with the standard view it puts initially, the chart looked correct. Then when I refreshed, the chart looked wrong again.

So perhaps it has something to do with the other pieces on the dashboard?

In any case, any permutation of web-parts or the lack thereof on the dashboard would not get it showing up correctly
Jul 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Having the same issue. This appears to be a bug. Does anyone support this anymore?

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM

jetlounge - I never got a response from anyone. I have simply just not put any graphs on the home page / dashboard of a site.

If you figure something out I'd be interested in knowing!

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM

ok, heres some news...

first part was my bad...my "filter" view wasn't really a filter on the list. The view was using the Group option and I limited the output to 1...silly me...what I learned, and I guess what everyone already knows is that this type of 'filter' in the view is not a filter as far as Sharepoint lists are concerned. If this was SQL it would qualify...but i guess it really returns all rows and simply limits the output on the screen.

To correct that I changed some fields so I could actually filter by a column instead of limiting the group by output and the web part works. If you are in this camp, then check your group vs filter options on the view.

However, there still is some type of gotcha with this component that I have yet to solve (maybe this is your issue):

Create a web part page, add a chart part that links to the view and filter...looks good.
Then I added a list web part to the actual list (the same list that feeds the chart)...and changed the default view to my filter view. Looks good.
Referesh the homepage...guess what?
List view web part is still filtered, but the chart part is not. Somehow it doesn't like that.
To solve, I removed the list web part from the page.

So...if you had the list web part on the home page...you got snagged by this gotcha. Remove the list part (if that is allowed) and you'll see your filtered chart.

Not a bad price to pay..in all this chart web part is sweet compared to hacking pages in SPD.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:17 AM

Will this be fix in the next release? I would really like to show chart on default.aspx page. Now the view doesn't filter the data at all when put the chart on the main page. While on other pages, the chart is showing properly.