Whats New Web Part

May 8, 2008 at 8:25 PM
Hi Jan

Great to see you back blogging again, just make sure you keep spending time with that girl of yours :-)

I downloaded and installed 2 of the 3 web parts,
SmartTools.EnhancedSiteActions (v1.0)
SmartTools.WhatsNew (version 1.1)

Both installed successully and I was able to activate both from my Site Collection. The Enhanced Site Actions works perfectly but unfortunately I am having a problem with the Whats New Part. I go and edit the page for adding in web parts, tick the web part "Whats new", the page refreshes and it returns with an error, below. Any advice to aid me get the Web Part up and running. Many thanks. Darren

The "WhatsNewWebPart" Web Part appears to be causing a problem. Value does not fall within the expected range.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator.
Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.
May 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM
Same error for me (on french version).

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:13 AM
I have the same problem, there is a solution thx. Thomas
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Is fixed in the new version (3.1) which will be released shortly.
Aug 26, 2008 at 6:11 PM
Would this be the same thing as my error of:

The "WhatsNewWebPart" Web Part appears to be causing a problem. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

It appears randomly to some users and if they refresh enough times they do get in. 
Sep 1, 2008 at 6:10 PM
would you be able to provide any info on when you plan on releasing 3.1? 

very much looking forward to what's new working again, it is huge hit with our users and out of all the other parts we have found to do this function, none do it as well as yours.  Great work!
Dec 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM
Hi, same for me: 
The message is (translated) something like this:
It seems that webpart´WhatsNewWebPart causes problem. Unguilty litstemplate.
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:50 PM
I swear I thought this was fixed or discuss before, however when I download and install the What's New webpart and get it all up and running, the URLs are chopped off the 'New Docs' but are appropriate under any other collumn in the webpart.  Is there a fix for this?  Can I modify an XML file or ?  Has this been seen as a trend in certain types of installs, b/c I have never gotten this to work.

Thanks guys and keep up the good work!!
d